Saturday, May 27, 2006

advantageous side effects.

As I've obliquely mentioned several times, I've had an injury since before April 1st that has been hard to identify, regarding pain in my left hip. I've seen the doctor twice, and the best we can come up with now is simple muscle spasms and strains (I know I pulled a muscle in mid-april, likely while compensating for the other pain).

The odd thing is that there is substantial pain (at least for a male, I've heard we men are terrible with pain), but only right after getting up in the morning -- generally after a few hours the pain is largely gone. There's more pain other times, but this post is not for me to gripe about pain.

Anyway, there is a silver lining in this cloud. Since the first time I saw the doctor, about a month ago, I have lost over 20 pounds. I don't know if the pills I'm taking suppress my appetite, or if the pain when getting up and sitting down prevents me from walking to the kitchen for snacks.

I know this -- with pain in my hip, I decided that it would have to be better if there was less weight on the joint. I'm severely overweight, and I've meant to fix that for a while -- but my love for food overcame my desire to be lighter. I've got a ways to go before I'm considered "fashionably obese", but for the first time in years, I feel like I've got my eating habits under control, and can keep them in check.

So while each morning I have to will myself to get out of bed, knowing that the act will lead to pain, agony sometimes, I can see some good coming out of this. I see an orthopedic guy in a week, hopefully to rule out any joint damage -- nobody thinks it IS joint-related, but I felt I needed to know that for a fact so I can move one.

Thank you for indulging me.

No comments: