From their e-mail:
Thanks to you the pressure is building on the House. We are closer to seeing a budget passed that provides needed funding for our schools, protects the general fund and fixes transportation.
What are some things you can do to help? It is really as easy as one-two-three.
1. The CTB will hold three statewide public hearings on the draft six-year program at the locations below. Please attend the hearing that is closest to you. You don’t need to speak, just look for the person handing out the stickers that say, “I’ll pay more to get there faster,” and slap one on. The hearing schedule is as follows:
- Williamsburg, Tuesday, April 25, 6:30 p.m. James City County Administrative Building 101 C Mounts Bay Road Building C
- Chantilly, Wednesday, May 3, 6:30 p.m. VDOT Northern Va. District Office 14685 Avion Parkway
- Salem, Tuesday, May 9, 6:30 p.m. VDOT Salem District Auditorium 731 Harrison Ave. Salem, VA
2. Check out and pass around the most enlightened editorial in today’s Staunton New-Leader: http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060421/OPINION01/604210301/1014
3. Check out www.itstimevirginia.org This site features an article “Turfgrass and Budgets” by none other than your chief lobbyist. Read that one and pass it on if you think it worthy.
In the meantime, watch how hard Speaker Howell is working to prevent a vote on the Senate Budget or any transportation plan in the House. Could it be that he does not have the votes? Let’em vote on the bill, Bill!
Of course, the house speaker is simply refusing to violate Virginia's constitution by voting for a budget that uses tax revenue that is not already in place.
The real question is, if the Senate and Kaine are so certain that the people will support thier plan, why won't they pass the budget without it, and bring it up in a special session?
The answer is clear -- Kaine thinks that without the threat to shut down Virginia, he can't get support for his bill.
I'd love to go to the meeting with a sticker "You'll pay more, and get nowhere fast".