Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ninety Seven Cents -- I thought it wasn't possible.

When the board voted to advertise a $1.00 tax rate a few weeks back, I wrote a scathing opinion column castigating them for it. I knew that it was just an advertisement, and it was possible they could vote for a lower rate.

But frankly, I thought the chances of that happen were between none and no way. They had already taken the heat for saying $1.00, so why not vote for a buck?

Well, I have to say thankfully I was wrong. Tonight the board voted to adopt a 97 cent rate. It turns out that, with the much-lowered value of my house (due in no small part to the number of empty homes in my neighborhoow where hispanic families once resided), I will actually get a tax cut this year.

On the downside, they eliminated the car cameras. That itself isn't all that bad, but they then seem to have gutted the illegal immigration resolution. Although it's hard to say for sure.

More on that in another post.

No comments: