Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How do we know crime rates if nobody reports them?

Just a short comment. A few weeks ago my daughter had her MP3 player stolen at school during after-school activity. Several other ipods, mp3s and phones were taken, along with a good sum of money.

Several of the children reported this immediately to the school. But apparently the school will do nothing. Since the school provides lockers (too small in the gym locker rooms for the full bags the children have to take home at the end of the day, but still lockers) I guess they figure since no school property was taken it's not their problem.

But so far as I can tell, NONE of the children were really informed that nothing would be done in a way that would make the children realise they should call the police and report the incident themselves. And the school certainly isn't encouraging them to do so.

So I guess, since nobody called the police and the school took no information, that it never really happened. There isn't a crime ring operating in the school, there's no black market for electronic toys, and everything is just hunky-dory.

I confess that I never thought to call the police until a couple weeks after, and I still haven't called. In fact, my suggestion was to try to contact a shady character and see if you could buy back the stuff on the black market. Go along to Get along, I guess. Sure someone should stand up to crime, but it'd be more satisfying to pay a "finders fee" for the "lost" item than have a dead-file case and pay retail for the item again.

No comments: