Saturday, July 05, 2008

Obama Drags Jeremiah Wright out from under the bus

Obama has made a name for himself throwing people under his campaign bus, even long-time close personal friends like Jeremiah Wright, his pastor and mentor for 20 years.

However, when he is targeting specific audiences, he sometimes like to drag people out from under the bus.

In an interview in April with the gay magazine "The Advocate", Barack attacked black Christian churches, and praised his former advisor:

I think that the difference has to do with the fact that the African-American community is more churched and most African-American churches are still fairly traditional in their interpretations of Scripture. And so from the pulpit or in sermons you still hear homophobic attitudes expressed. And since African-American ministers are often the most prominent figures in the African-American community those attitudes get magnified or amplified a little bit more than in other communities.

Remember, this is a supposedly intelligent man who attended a church for 20 years and doesn't remember a single instance of racist comments from his own pastor. But he apparently is very much in tune with the "homophobic" message from black Christians who apparently are hung up on traditional scripture, and an acceptance of homphobia because too many people in the AA community are "churched".

He continues:

I mean, ironically, my biggest … the biggest political news surrounding me over the last three weeks has been Reverend Wright, who offended a whole huge constituency with some of his statements but has been very good on gay and lesbian issues. I mean he’s one of the leaders in the African-American community of embracing, speaking out against homophobia, and talking about the importance of AIDS.

Apparently Obama thinks there is a constituency of his that was offended by Wright's racism, but that Wright's pro-gay religious views were "very good".


BTW, in keeping with my previous post, in this interview Barack essentially says he supports gay marriage but won't actually SAY it himself (he has since as I noted below), and he also is opposed to the Defense of Marriage act, and supports including "gender identity" in a bill forcing employees to accept alternative lifestyles:


I reasonably can see “don’t ask, don’t tell” eliminated.
...
I think that I can help usher through an Employment Non-Discrimination Act and sign it into law. ... I have been clear about my interest in including gender identity in legislation, but I’ve also been honest with the groups that I’ve met with that it is a heavy lift through Congress.
...
Absolutely, and I for a very long time have been interested in repeal of DOMA.
...
So I strongly respect the right of same-sex couples to insist that even if we got complete equality in benefits, it still wouldn’t be equal because there’s a stigma associated with not having the same word, marriage, assigned to it. I understand that, but my perspective is also shaped by the broader political and historical context in which I’m operating.

IN other words, I'm for gay marraige, but I might not get elected if I say it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama sits on the post on every issue. Has no back bone and is constantly telling everyone anything want to hear just to make them happy. When questioned on anything he really is good at skirting the question. I truly believe this country will quickly spiral down into crap if he where to be elected. Obama is an unpatriotic piece of crap, shouldn't a president at least honor the national anthem. I believe the founding father of our great nation would beat Obama's ass for not at least putting his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

Karen W said...

Great shaare